- There are many levels to having security clearance.
- Having clearance does not automatically grant access to classified information as a result of position, rank or title.
- Having any level of security clearance also includes a required signature to a non-disclosure agreement.
- Based on information, job duty or other stipulations, clearance has limitation including a ‘need to know’ basis.
- Clearance can be and is in many cases a temporary condition for people in and outside of government.
A remarkable White House press briefing included the heads of intelligence agencies explaining the condition of cyber/espionage and the countermeasures against Russia.
Then there is the military side, a division frankly not well known, the Defense Security Services.
On Friday, a group of local terrorists stormed the Radisson Blu hotel in Bamako, Mali, taking 170 hostages and up to 3 are dead. Some hostages have been released if they could recite verses of the Koran. U.S. military personnel is assisting as they were already in the region doing training. The U.S. State Department has confirmed there are 6 Americans as part of the hostages. The UN was also holding an event at the hotel.
U.S. Northern Command Admiral William Gortney ordered the increase of the force protection condition in the United States to FPCON Bravo in May of 2015.
This order was to increase security given recent threats from Islamic State when they posted the names and photos of former and active military personnel on the internet.
Additionally, this came on the heels of the Garland, Texas shooting coupled with the aggressive and correct statements from FBI Director James Comey where all 50 states had open investigations on terror plots.